Small claims court is a civil court where you can sue someone for $10,000 or less. It has simplified rules and can go much faster than other types of cases. A plaintiff in a small claims actions case can sue a defendant for a number of things, including unpaid rent, medical bills resulting from a car accident, home improvements or not satisfying a contract.
Types of Small Claims Actions Cases
Small claims court may be used only for certain types of cases. For example:
- Lawsuits such as breach of contract, property damage, or personal injury
- All evictions, regardless of the amount of rent claimed
- Repossessions of property if the property consists of consumer goods which are leased or purchased on credit from a dealer, or if the value of the property does not exceed the amount that is determined by county where filed
- Garnishments to enforce judgments from funds owed to debtors
- The maximum judgment allowed in small claims court is $10,000.00 plus costs; therefore, your claim may not exceed $10,000.00
No Small Matter
Many courts consider small claims matters to be just that — small. The Law Office of Paul M. Marriett in Rockford, Illinois, however, understands that while these claims might seem to be low-cost in nature, these issues and payment for these issues can greatly affect your life.
The Law Office of Paul M. Marriett can aggressively pursue or defend you against any small claims actions you may encounter. As this area of the law can bring in a wide variety of potential claims, call for a free consultation to see how a skilled lawyer may best serve you.
In Illinois, it is not a requirement to hire an attorney to represent you in a small claims dispute — but it increases your chance of success. For example, if you are a defendant in small claims court, there could be an opportunity for you to file a “counterclaim” against the plaintiff, and that’s an area where a skilled attorney can greatly assist your case.
Contact Attorney Paul M. Marriett Regarding Your Small Claims Actions
To talk to a skilled attorney about legal matters involving small claims actions, contact the Law Office of Paul M. Marriett at (309) 756-8169 or reach us by e-mail for a free consultation.