410 Probation

Paul M. Marriett Helps Defendants of Drug Crimes in Illinois Secure 410 Probation

I720 ILCS 570/410(a) provides:

Whenever any person who has not previously been convicted of, or placed on probation or court supervision for any offense under this Act or any law of the United States or of any State relating to cannabis or controlled substances, pleads guilty to or is found guilty of possession of a controlled or counterfeit substance under subsection (c) of Section 402 or of unauthorized possession of prescription form under Section 406.2, the court, without entering a judgment and with the consent of such person, may sentence him or her to probation.

Translation? If you have never been convicted of, pled guilty or put on court supervision for any drug-related crime in the United States, you may be eligible for probation under Chapter 410 of Illinois state law. The benefit here is that if you fulfill all the terms of your probation, the court will dismiss the charge at the completion of the term of probation. In essence, this is “felony supervision.”

The conditions you must follow are laid out specifically in 720 ILCS 570/410(c) which provide:

The conditions of probation shall be that the person: (1) not violate any criminal statute of any jurisdiction; (2) refrain from possessing a firearm or other dangerous weapon; (3) submit to periodic drug testing at a time and in a manner as ordered by the court, but no less than 3 times during the period of the probation, with the cost of the testing to be paid by the probationer; and (4) perform no less than 30 hours of community service, provided community service is available in the jurisdiction and is funded and approved by the county board.

In all cases involving drug crimes and drug-related charges, it is essential to find a skilled lawyer as early in the process as possible to ensure the best possible outcome, as you are only allowed to have this type of probation once in your lifetime.

To obtain quality legal representation in Rockford, Machesney Park, Loves Park, Winnebago County or the surrounding Illinois counties and communities, contact attorney the Law Office of Paul M. Marriett for a free consultation at (815) 391-0089 or reach the office by email here.

Skip to content