Citizenship and Green Cards


Call For a Free Consultation Regarding Citizenship and Green Cards

By obtaining green card status and becoming a permanent resident as a green card holder, you have the right to:

  • Live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable under immigration law
  • Work in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing. (Note: Some jobs will be limited to U.S. citizens for security reasons.)
  • Be protected by all laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions

That’s why obtaining a green card is critical to a higher quality of life in Illinois.

If you’re recently married or are considering marriage and wonder how this can impact either you or your spouse’s immigration status, citizenship and green cards, please call the Rockford-based Law Office of Paul M. Marriett at (815) 391-0089 for a free consultation.

The Path to Citizenship

Generally the path to citizenship starts with your Green Card application, otherwise referred to as your i130. This form can be found by clicking on this link.

While these applications can certainly be completed without a lawyer, to ensure that your paperwork is completed accurately and filed properly, seeking at attorney is a very important consideration to make.

To pursue true citizenship in the United States, the applicant must first become a permanent resident (a green card holder). After five years of being a green card holder, they can apply for U.S. citizenship. For immigrants married to U.S. citizens, from green card to U.S. citizenship usually will take around three years.

Further, there are also complications due to extended absences from the country that are likely to break the applicant’s continuous residence. That’s just another reason why an experienced attorney will help your immigration case.

Free Consultation for Issues Regarding Immigration Status, Citizenship and Green Cards

Contact the Law Office of Paul M. Marriett in Rockford at (815) 391-0089 to discuss your Green Card situation. Alternatively, clients use the contact form above or to the right and we will respond to you within 24 hours. The Law Office of Paul M. Marriett has served immigration visa needs for clients in Rockford, Machesney Park, Loves Park, Winnebago County and the surrounding Illinois counties.

Se Habla Espanol.

What Our Clients Have to Say

“Paul, is a fantastic Lawyer. I’ve used several lawyers in the Rockford area but Paul is one of the few honest, reasonable & ethical, I have used. Would highly recommend Paul! He gets results!”

Rating: 5/5


Nov 11, 2015

Read more reviews on Avvo!

Skip to content