Contact the Law Office of Paul M. Marriett With Questions Regarding Immigration Visas

There are various types of visas and visa applications for your specific immigration situation. Rockford-based Illinois lawyer Marriett Legal can advise you on your specific visa questions. The United States Department of State website lists the following:

Step 1

In general, to be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative(s), U.S. lawful permanent resident, or by a prospective employer. The applicant must also be the beneficiary of an approved petition filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). For petition information, visit the USCIS website. Learn about the different processes for the major immigrant categories, which are as follows:

Immediate Relative and Family Sponsored
Special Immigrants
Diversity Visa Program

Visas provided are drawn from countries with low rates of immigration to the U.S. Unlike other immigrant types, diversity visas (DV) do not require a U.S. sponsor, and therefore a petition is not needed.

Step 2

After the immigrant petition has been approved (excluding DV applicants) by USCIS, then the next step is preliminary processing for a visa with the Department of State, National Visa Center. Visit Immigrant Visa Processing — the National Visa Center for information related to:

  • Affidavit of Support
  • Required applicant documents (i.e. birth certificates, police reports, marriage/divorce certificates, etc.)
  • Medical Exam/panel physician information
  • Interviews

Free Consultation for Visas

If you have questions on which specific visa would be a good fit for you, contact the Law Office of Paul M. Marriett in Rockford at (815) 391-0089 to discuss your visa situation. Alternatively, clients use the contact form on this page for a 24-hour response. The Law Office of Paul M. Marriett has served immigration visa needs for clients in Rockford, Machesney Park, Loves Park, Winnebago County and the surrounding Illinois counties.

Se Habla Espanol.

Skip to content